UPDATED: Pat McCrory's campaign war chest is stacked $2.3 million deep with a month to go in the governor's race, thanks to a $3.1 million haul in the third quarter this year.
McCrory's campaign released the third quarter fundraising numbers Tuesday, trumpeting last week's $1 million in donations as its most successful week ever.
The cash infusion puts McCrory's grand total this election cycle close to $10 million, far more than his Democratic rival Walter Dalton, and puts him in the driver's seat going into the Nov. 6 election.
Dalton's campaign said it would not release fundraising numbers for the third quarter. Neither campaign will submit formal campaign finance reports until Oct. 29 because the reporting period does not end until Oct. 20. But both camps put increased pressure on donors to contribute by Friday, the last day of the fiscal quarter.
Dalton ended June with just $714,000 in the bank, handicapped by a late campaign start after Gov. Bev Perdue's last-minute decision not to seek re-election. The Democrat's campaign has kept quiet about it's fundraising, heightening concerns among political observers about his campaign's financial weakness.
McCrory ended June with $4.4 million on hand and proceeded to put a huge chunk of the money into a TV advertising campaign that started in August, a month before his rival. The ad campaign is draining his bank account but also keeping him in the lead with most polls showing him ahead by double-digits.
In addition to the $2.3 million cash-on-hand, McCrory is also getting financial help from the Republican Governors Association, as is Dalton from the Democratic equivalent, though to a lesser extent so far.
"North Carolinians are rejecting the failed economic policies and shameful campaign tactics of the Perdue-Dalton era and are looking for a new leader who can bring people together to fix North Carolina's broken economy and broken government," said McCrory spokesman Ricky Diaz.