She said she has been in talks with the White House and that she wants to eliminate politics from the process of replacing a U.S. Attorney, Andy Curliss reports.
"It is not in North Carolina's best interest to replace" Holding right now, she said.
Holding is overseeing the two high-profile probes that have been the subject of recent news reports.
Her comments come a day after the resignation of one member of a three-person screening panel that Hagan established to winnow candidates for the top prosecutors' positions in North Carolina.
Locke Clifford, a criminal defense lawyer from Greensboro, stepped down on Tuesday but did not cite a reason. Hagan said he has not been involved in screening for a replacement of Holding.
The panel had been expecting to interview candidates last week and this one, according to the panel's chairman, Burley Mitchell. Mitchell is a former chief justice of the N.C. Supreme Court and now a lawyer at Womble Carlyle Sandridge & Rice in Raleigh.
Clifford has not returned calls or made comments. But Clifford's vehicle was spotted at the Easley home on Tuesday.
Clifford was replaced with Jim Phillips.