UPDATED: Gov. Bev Perdue said Friday she had "no choice but to veto this budget."
Perdue said she tried to seek a bipartisan compromise but the Republican-controlled legislature rejected the plan. "The budget doesn't invest enough in our children's future," she said. "It's simply not good enough."
Perdue also vetoed last year's spending plan and Republican lawmakers convinced a handful of Democrats to override the governor.
Earlier in the week, Perdue met with Republican lawmakers to lay out a compromise plan and held a press conference to rally public support. Republican leaders weren't interested even though it did reopen the budget to make a few minor changes.
Perdue pressed again Thursday saying there is more state revenue than expected, a claim disputed by Republicans. And her office took to Twitter to list 20 budget flaws.
"I was willing and determined to reach a budget agreement that I could allow to become law," she said Friday. "They ultimately told me no. They said to me take it or leave it."
Senate leader Phil Berger and House Speaker Thom Tillis reacted quickly: "Gov. Perdue uses apocalyptic language to explain her veto, and yet the difference between the dollars she demanded and what we budgeted is a fraction of one percent of the total budget. The fact that she would reject hundreds of millions in additional state funding for public schools and Medicaid, a cut to the state gas tax and a raise for teachers and state employees proves she’s more interested in winning a political battle than in doing what’s right. She turned her back on North Carolina’s children today, and we are working to secure the votes necessary to override this irresponsible veto."
The GOP leaders have said in the past they plan to move to override the veto.