newsobserver.com blogs

Tag search result

Tip: Clicking on tags in this page allows you to drill further with combined tag search. For example, if you are currently viewing the tag search result page for "health care", clicking on "Kay Hagan" will bring you to a list of contents that are tagged with both "health care" and "Kay Hagan."

Nathan Tabor doesn't make the ballot in Greensboro congressional race

The State Board of Elections has rejected a request by Nathan Tabor, the Forsyth County Republican Party chairman, to get on a Greensboro congressional ballot after officials determined last month he missed the candidate filing deadline, the AP reports.

Would-be-candidate's tardiness appeal rescheduled

The State Board of Elections has rescheduled to next week the appeal of a potential congressional candidate who was told he arrived too late to file.

Republican Nathan Tabor of Forsyth County came to Raleigh on the last day of the filing period to put his name in for the 6th Congressional District. He was told he missed the noon deadline. 

Tabor says he was in the building on time, and should be declared a candidate. 

The elections board was scheduled to hear his appeal yesterday, but postponed the hearing to March 15. Tabor wants to join three others in the GOP primary, including incumbent Rep. Howard Coble. 

Last-second drama ends candidate filing period in Raleigh

The two-week candidate filing period ended at noon Wednesday with last-minute drama, as a would-be congressional candidate ran into the state elections agency in Raleigh seconds too late.

Forsyth Republican Party Chairman Nathan Tabor stopped his car in the middle of the State Board of Elections parking lot and ran into the building. He said the receptionist told him he made it just in time.

But a room away, elections chief Gary Bartlett announced the end of filing before Tabor entered. Seconds later Tabor stormed into the room. Bartlett told Tabor he was too late. Tabor plans to appeal to the full state elections board, which will make a decision March 6.

A tale involving Vernon Robinson, Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton and Rush Limbaugh

The chairman of the Forsyth County GOP is questioning why Republican congressional candidate Vernon Robinson campaigned for Barack Obama in the South Carolina primary in 2008, the Winston-Salem Journal reports.

Robinson told reporter Wesley Young that he was campaigning as part of a Rush-Limbaugh inspired plan to keep disrupt the Democrats and keep the primary season going between Obama and Sen. Hillary Clinton.

Robinson, who is seeking the nomination to the 8th district congressional seat, said it was “ridiculous” to think that he had ever supported Obama. And that he said the GOP chairman, conservative activist Nathan Tabor, was bitter toward him, because he lost the 2004 GOP primary for Congress for the 5th district.

“Nathan has a personal grudge against me,. but he will never be in Congress,” Robinson said. “He needs to grow up.”

Tabor notes that during the spring of 2008, Limbaugh urged supporters to back Clinton not Obama.

Tabor said he has nothing against Robinson, but he should have to explain his actions.

“Vernon says he is pro-life and pro-family,” Tabor said. “It puzzles me, knowing Vernon and what he stands for socially and fiscally, to go spend money, gas and time going door-to-door telling people that Barack Obama would make a good president.”

“The initial plan was to have Republican voters cross over and vote in the Democratic primary and vote for Hillary Clinton” Tabor said. “I don't think his (Limbaugh's) plan was for conservatives to go work door to door for Obama.”

UPDATE: The Robinson campaign says there is plenty of evidence that Republicans were trying to help Obama in the South Carolina primary in 2008.

“Months earlier, dozens of conservative talk show hosts and thousands of conservative GOP activists across the country began to do everything they could to cause the Democrat Party to nominate the weaker of the two candidates (Sen. Barack Obama versus Sen. Hillary Clinton) and prolong the Democrats' divisive nomination contest for the benefit of the eventual GOP nominee (Sen. John McCain),” the campaign said in a response on it's website.

“Radio talk show host Rush Limbaugh "went silent about Obama during the heat of the January primaries" and “Hillary was [Sean Hannity's] target of choice throughout the early primaries, with Hannity steering what he proudly dubbed the 'Stop Hillary Express'"

“At the time of the South Carolina primary on January 26th, conservative activists still thought Hillary Clinton would be the Democratic Party's strongest nominee and she was on a roll,” the Robinson campaign said. “Indeed, Clinton had just won three primaries in a row -- New Hampshire on the 8th, Michigan on the 15th, and Nevada on the 19th -- and public polls of Florida voters showed she held a safe lead going into the Florida primary on the 29th.  Robinson did his part by encouraging his friends and supporters in South Carolina to vote against Clinton in the Democrats' open primary and went to Rock Hill, SC on election day to participate in the GOTV (Get Out The Vote) chore of driving Obama campaign volunteers to neighborhoods where they knocked on the doors of Democrat voters who had been identified as Obama supporters.”

Group seeks wall along Mexican border

A new North Carolina-based group has begun an effort to persuade presidential and congressional candidates to sign a pledge to build a double-edged wall along the U.S.-Mexican border by the end of 2013.

The group, called Americans for Securing the Border, this week went up with a website and plans to shortly begin urging candidates to take the pledge.

The pledge says “I CANDIDATE'S NAME, pledge to support and speedily expedite the construction of a date-certain, secure double fence across the entire U.S.-Mexican border to be completed prior to the end of 2013.

The group plans to run ads and do grass roots organizing in early primary states such as Iowa and South Carolina.

The national co-chairman is Nathan Tabor, a conservative activist, businessman and former congressional candidate from Kernersville.

“Politicians have been giving lip service to 'we are going to try to do something – we are going to have border patrols, we are going to do e-verify,''' said Tabor. “But when it comes down to it, the rule of law has really been ignored. “

“The cost benefit of what it would it would cost to build the fence versus what it would save us on the law enforcement side, the education and health care would be greatly offset,” Tabor said.

He said the group already has 80,000 emails in Iowa, 400,000 emails in South Carolina, and 100,000  emails in North Carolina. The group will start running some Internet ads in the next couple of days to build support for the group.

The national chairman of the group is Van D. Hipp Jr., a former chairman of the South Carolina Republican Party.
   

And they're off: Tabor says he's running for Congress

Nathan Tabor, a Kernersville Republican, announced he's running for Congress from the 13th Congressional District.

His main focus: " jobs, jobs, jobs."

"We must cut taxes and regulations on business owners, and we must lower our dependency on foreign oil. We must also reestablish the moral fiber of our society,"  he said in a Wednesday email to potential supporters.

Tabor ran for Congress from the 5th District in 2004,  and ran for the state Senate in 2006. He lost in Republican primaries.

He has the beginnings of a Tabor for Congress website (though the address is still taborforsenate) which advises visitors to stay tuned.

U.S. Rep. Brad Miller of Raleigh is the 13th District Democratic incumbent. A new proposed district map includes more registered Republicans.

Potential Miller foes names being floated

The names of potential challengers to 13th Democratic Congressman Brad Miller have been flying fast and furious in recent days since the GOP released a redistricting plan that would turn a Democratic-leaning district into a Republican stronghold.

Among the Republican names circulating are former Congressional candidates Nathan Tabor of Kernersville, B.J. Lawson of Cary, Wake County Commissioner Paul Coble, and former U.S. Attorney George Holding.

Miller declined an interview after the new maps were released Friday.

But he released a statement saying “there will be very serious lawsuits challenging the map's legality.”

“Republicans have targeted some of the most effective Democrats in drawing legislative districts to silence Democrats' most powerful voices, including Deborah Ross, Pricey Harrison, Rick Glazier and Linda Garrou,” Miller said. “I am proud to be in their company.

“Taking on the most powerful special interests on behalf of ordinary Americans is what most Americans say they want from Congress and don't get,” Miller said. “Choosing to take on that fight produces political enemies.”

“I've fought the efforts of the biggest banks to go back to their old ways like nothing happened, and to shirk responsibility for the harm they've done,” Miller said. “The American people need someone on their side in that fight.”

Video drums up support for GOP

The state Republican Senate committee is spreading a video clip of a scuffle at a Greensboro protest in which a Republican is seen getting punched in the face.

The incident happened at a protest Tuesday outside the Greensboro office of U.S. Rep. Mel Watt. Nathan Tabor, chairman of the Forsyth County Republican Party and a 2006 Republican state senate candidate, exchanged words with Govenor Vance Spencer of Greensboro, according to an account in the Winston-Salem Journal.

Tabor was in a group of about 25 people protesting government bailouts when Spencer waded into the crowd and blamed former President George W. Bush. Things devolved quickly from there, as the video shows.

Tabor says in the video that Spencer touched his wife. The video then shows Spencer clocking Tabor in the face.

"New Video of NC Senate Candidate Attack," screams the headline in an e-mail message sent by the Republican Senate Caucus. Tabor was a senate candidate four years ago.

The caucus message describes the video as "footage of the Democrat activist attacking the former NC Senate candidate" and includes a link for supporters to contribute to the committee. 

"Unbelievably, Tabor has been charged with assault for getting punched in the face by a man who just pushed his wife," says the message. Both Spencer and Tabor have been charged with simple assault.

A dollar for Cox

The Federal Election Commission has a nifty interactive map of campaign donations.

Using different-sized circles, it shows which ZIP codes in North Carolina have given to each of the presidential candidates, to Democrats and Republicans, and overall.

A sidebar shows that all candidates have received $2 million through March 31, with former Sen. John Edwards taking the lion's share at $1.4 million.

Perhaps the most interesting item is the smallest one: A $1 donation to fourth-tier Republican candidate John H. Cox from Kernersville blogger Nathan Tabor last July. It was Cox's only donation from North Carolina.

Tabor, who has run unsuccessfully for Congress and the state legislature, went to work for U.S. Rep. Duncan Hunter's campaign earlier this year.

Hat Tip: Brooke CainĀ 

Cars View All
Find a Car
Go
Jobs View All
Find a Job
Go
Homes View All
Find a Home
Go

Want to post a comment?

In order to join the conversation, you must be a member of dome.newsobserver.com. Click here to register or to log in.
Advertisements