Under the Dome

Medicaid bill counts on federal/state funding split

UPDATED: Both chambers approved Senate Bill 4, which turns down the expansion of Medicaid — and the funding that comes with it — under the federal health care law.

The bill, which had been in conference committee, also prohibits the state from setting up online exchanges where people can buy health insurance, allowing the federal government to set up the exchanges in North Carolina.

There is now a fiscal note attached to the legislation that estimates it will cost $45.7 million to develop "an interface with the federally facilitated Health Benefits Exchange."

But the state expects to pay for only 10 percent — or $5 million — of that with federal funds paying for the other 90 percent. The bill allows the state to apply for the federal funds.


Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Medicaid bill could have heftier cost than expected

Save this headline because I feel you will get to use it many thousands of time in the coming years.

Can anyone "expect" that high? I cannot expect how high it may rise but I expect that it will exceed my expectations.

Cars View All
Find a Car
Jobs View All
Find a Job
Homes View All
Find a Home

Want to post a comment?

In order to join the conversation, you must be a member of Click here to register or to log in.